Osvaldo - The Temple of Seth - Desierto del Submundo

players help players

Moderators: mugs, Gerty

TombTitan

Re: Osvaldo - The Temple of Seth - Desierto del Submundo

Post by TombTitan » 31 Mar 2019 21:37

You cannot get that secret from your savegame. This could be due to several possibilities:
1. You are using a game that has unlimited medipaks and some ammo, and that could conflict.
2. There is an unidentified savegame bug from earlier.
3. There is a time limit for going back to get the secret and that was exceeded from an earlier point in your game.
4. You may have done something wrong or incomplete in the crawlspace at the sand pit, and from experience when I played last year that is the most likely cause.
5. You may have done something wrong in the pool that goes on fire, or in the room above with the mummies and exploding mines.
6. There was some conflicting keystroke with the guide's actions at the prison cells and spike traps.
There is nothing more that can be done with this savegame. If you have a savegame at the start of this level, it may be possible to try to see if you could have gotten the secret by different gameplay actions.

Phil
Mod
Mod

Post by Phil » 31 Mar 2019 23:34

TombTitan wrote:
31 Mar 2019 21:37
You cannot get that secret from your savegame. This could be due to several possibilities:

3. There is a time limit for going back to get the secret and that was exceeded from an earlier point in your game.
I suspect this is the culprit, as there was no mention of a time limit in the walkthrough, nor of what action may have triggered the timer.

No big deal in the scheme of things. It's just a secret, after all. Thanks for taking the time and effort to look over the situation (I don't have an earlier savegame from a point that wouldn't require much more replay time).

TombTitan

Post by TombTitan » 01 Apr 2019 00:55

As I said, I am out-of-town and do not have my savegames, so I can't check my gameplay. I just took a brief look at Doggett's video before he stopped playing the game due to his mistake in getting secrets 37-38. Doggett went into the crawlspace at the sand pit before it is filled and used both reach-in holes twice. He then left the crawlspace to go back into the sand pit which was now filled. He went immediately back to the prison cell and the secret cell door was open to get secret 36.

Osvaldo used double-action switches, etc. many times in this game both for secrets and required actions. I suspect the second use of either reach-in hole at the crawlspace opens the secret room cell door. The first use of each yields ammo and fills the sand pit.

Phil, when you used the lever just before your savegame, that lever use may have been a time limit for getting the secret OR more likely, you forgot to use the reach-in hole a second time. Unfortunately, this game does not allow entry back into the sand pit crawlspace once it is filled probably to make secret 36 hard to get.

Phil
Mod
Mod

Post by Phil » 01 Apr 2019 01:38

Here's a savegame at the end of Level 17, Desierto del Submundo, just before inserting the Stone Key. In the meantime, I'll replay Level 18 and try what you suggest. Thanks again.
Attachments
trepsave.3
(12 KiB) Downloaded 8 times
savegame.3
(15.58 KiB) Downloaded 7 times

TombTitan

Post by TombTitan » 01 Apr 2019 05:31

Phil, I used your savegame and got the cell door to open to secret 36. Attached is a savegame with the cell door open. You merely need to go inside to register the secret and get the goodies, and then go back to the sand pit and climb out on the other side to open the gate for the guide and play the rest of the level.

The secret room cell door is opened by using the south reach-in hole twice (the one with the crossbow ammo) in the crawlspace at the sand pit. The north reach-in hole fills the sand pit, and probably nothing happens if you use it twice. I tested this several times to verify how the cell door was opened. [The north reach-in hole was used twice in the attached savegame in case it does something later in the level.]

I did not bother to see if there is a time limit for going back to the cell door, and I doubt there is until it is impossible to go back.

Secrets 37 and 38 in the previous portal desert level can still be obtained after the prison level if you go back to that level and do the right things I described in an earlier post in October. However, it was also possible to get both of these secrets while playing that previous level the first time around (before being trapped in the prison level) which was not clear when the walkthrough was written last summer. Thus, secret 36 is actually really secret 38.
savegame.4
(15.58 KiB) Downloaded 6 times
trepsave.4
(12 KiB) Downloaded 8 times

TombTitan

Post by TombTitan » 01 Apr 2019 07:51

Phil, I was bored so I tested the rest of the level with respect to a time limit for backtracking to get the secret.

It is possible to get the prison level secret at any time after using the reach-in hole at the crawlspace in the sand pit until the level exit door is opened by the guide with the earthquake which also closes the return gate to the early part of the level.

Therefore, you must have forgotten to use the reach-in hole switch twice in your savegame from Saturday. I doubt you had a savegame bug.

The walkthrough should be amended with a line stating that the south reach-in hole switch with the crossbow ammo should be used twice to open the cell door to the secret. Also, the player should backtrack to the secret immediately after exiting the crawlspace because that is the least backtrack distance in the level.

DoggettTV

Post by DoggettTV » 01 Apr 2019 09:04

I'm sorry if I left this custom.
Sooner or later I will do everything perfectly :)

Phil
Mod
Mod

Post by Phil » 01 Apr 2019 13:24

TombTitan wrote:
01 Apr 2019 07:51
The walkthrough should be amended with a line stating that the south reach-in hole switch with the crossbow ammo should be used twice to open the cell door to the secret. Also, the player should backtrack to the secret immediately after exiting the crawlspace because that is the least backtrack distance in the level.
Thanks, I'll make that edit.