Osvaldo - The Temple of Seth - Desierto del Submundo

players help players

Moderators: mugs, Gerty

José
Chatterbox
Chatterbox

Osvaldo - The Temple of Seth - Desierto del Submundo

Post by José » 29 Jun 2018 11:29

Finished this level but missed a secret.
Well, at least, it's what I think 'cause the secret chime sounded twice but I don't know if it's a bug or an error in the design 'cause in the first "secret" I found nothing to pick up and it's the required route to continue playing... :huh:

I'm talking about the first timed run in the starting area; there are 2 switches to pull and once you are success with the timed run and go inside the corridor, the secret chime sounds and it's up in your inventory, but there's nothing to pick up... :?

So I think this is not a real secret, and I really missed two secrets in this level, but as usual, I don't know if I'll be back here later 'cause when you place the stone key near the end, the exit door opens but the flyby takes you directly to the next level (la prisión de los condenados).

This weekend I'll be very busy so, if anybody finds something about it this next days, please let me know.
Thanks in advance.

TombTitan

Re: Osvaldo - The Temple of Seth - Desierto del Submundo

Post by TombTitan » 29 Jun 2018 13:32

Based on some other custom levels (don't remember which), the secret chime may be real. That is, it may indicate that you have activated the need to go back to the cartouche place (which would logically be a secret task since the sand was activated there by a secret wall switch). But you need to find the return portal and the cartouche. The cartouche could be found in a new area accessed only by the return portal that also accesses another return portal to Dentro. Thus, where is the return portal is the question.

By return portal I mean only the way back to the Dentro level where the mummy room with the deadly tiles is. The path to the sand chamber (via El Submundo and El Octahedro) has already been opened there by using the floor lever there.

Also, the second secret missed may be the objective of the cartouche run task just like the secret in the door with 3 keys level.

I will be playing this level over the next 2 days or so.

EDIT:

I did not get a secret chime from the timed run. That could mean any number of things. You had a bug as you suggested, or a secret is awarded if the speed run is made under a threshold number of seconds. Also, the way the game is played with switches, paths, etc. may trigger a secret. None of this is clear. I opt for the bug theory because I tried several ways doing the timed run and order of switches. Sometimes the door stayed open after going through, other times it closed. A couple of times it was possible to get through using only one switch. I suggest you e-mail Oswaldo for the solution if both secrets are not found and there is no cartouche or clue as to why you can/should go back to the earlier levels through the portal.

The way back to Dentro, Octahedro, Submundo and the Sand Chamber is right after going through this 2-switch timed door. The path forward and to the left goes to the rope. The path to the right after the timed door leads to the portal back to the area of the mummies and floor switch and the passage opened by the earthquake. [I tested the return trip.]

EDIT 2:
I found a secret in the crawlspace maze. It is under a breakable and there is a lower crawlspace in it with uzis and other pickups rather than spikes.

EDIT 3:
Keep playing through the prison, etc. You can still go back to the sand chamber. This arc of levels continues through "El rio de lava" (and maybe later levels as secret side trips). You can return to "Desierto del submundo" at the start of "La ciudad perdida de Egypto". You can return to "La prison de los condenados" from "El rio de lava". Lara returns to "El submundo" from "El gran obelisco" via the ladder below the closed trapdoor at the start of "El submundo". You then go directly to "La camara de arena" where you can use the RA cartouche (found in "El gran obelisco") in the slot. A wall panel will open up there for the way to "La sala de tres pruebas" (no way back). There may be other paths available if the secret switch was used in the sand chamber before going to the underworld. As I predicted, this game is structured a lot like QRS's "Egypt and Beyond" and some paths may only be available based on choices made.

EDIT 4:
There are 3 secrets in Desierto del Submundo. The first secret is obtained during the first run through in the level. The last two secrets can only be obtained AFTER completing the prison level and reaching the junction that goes to either the lost city or the desert. You make a side trip there to the desert and return to the original starting place in that level. A passage down has opened up near the first timed switch. The last 2 secrets are in the same room, but the third secret is behind a gate. I do not know how to open that gate, and that may be due to the way I played. If you get it at the exact same time as the second secret, then it will be the way I played (and I know how to fix that for myself by replaying the desert and prison levels---this does not affect you). However, it is more likely that the third secret requires some action (and I tried all of the ones that seem available in the level). The most likely scenario is that the third secret (a bonus secret for the entire game) is obtained by going back again to the desert level after completing the five bonus levels that are made available by pulling the switch in the secret room in La Camara de Arena. If that switch was used, then the 2 wall panels at the cartouche slot open up when the cartouche is placed. One door (next to the cartouche slot) goes to the final levels of the game (starting with La Sala) and there is no way back to La Camara. The second door entrance goes to Gran Obelisco (via a new portal) to use the lever to open up the passage on the other side of the window grate there that leads to the bonus levels. Lara then goes back in the portal to La Camara. From there you go back to submundo through the machine door, down the previously closed trapdoor to portals that go the Gran Obelisco in the Tower (or take the very long route back through the underworld, octaedro, dendro and the desert portals). Then you go out and across to where the entrance to the bonus levels are. You can also make sidetrips back to the lost city or the desert (and also back to the sand chamber via the underworld floating platforms).

Lara can return to previous levels starting with the sand chamber after completing the bonus levels, but Lara cannot return to the previous part of the game when going to La Sala de tres pruebas (the required path for all players). Lara loses all weapons in the prison and it takes a long time to get them back. The revolver and uzis only become available again in levels after using the cartouche in the sand chamber. The three push tile puzzle in the lost city is tricky (buggy) compared to the one in La alberca de Set. Also there is a difficult tightly-timed run in El valle oculto where Lara will burn anywhere if the correct run-through actions are not done in time (a reload is necessary). One switch must be used twice in Rio de Lava for required actions (and it is not obvious what switch this is).

The secrets in the levels between the prison and using the cartouche in the sand chamber are relatively easy to find. Remember to backtrack.

There is an easter egg in Rio de Lava for rock climbing adventurers.

Good luck with making the walkthrough.

José
Chatterbox
Chatterbox

Post by José » 02 Jul 2018 12:22

Wow!
Tremendous! :-o
Thank you very much for your help! :up:
Starting now in the prison without guns...

Phil
Mod
Mod

Post by Phil » 02 Jul 2018 12:31

I really like this teamwork between José and TombTitan, which benefits us all. Iron sharpens iron, and that's one of the hallmarks of this site. Bravo, you two.

José
Chatterbox
Chatterbox

Post by José » 04 Jul 2018 09:35

TombTitan wrote:
29 Jun 2018 13:32

There are 3 secrets in Desierto del Submundo. The first secret is obtained during the first run through in the level. The last two secrets can only be obtained AFTER completing the prison level and reaching the junction that goes to either the lost city or the desert. You make a side trip there to the desert and return to the original starting place in that level. A passage down has opened up near the first timed switch. The last 2 secrets are in the same room, but the third secret is behind a gate. I do not know how to open that gate, and that may be due to the way I played...
You were right.
It seems that the secret chime after the timed run near the start could be a bug, because I found that "fourth" secret:

Once you've got the Stone Key (Llave de Piedra) next to the pit with all those spikes, before you exit that room turn around and look S and down to see that the spikes have disappeared on a sandy tile next to the wall, and a tiny fire appeared:
spikesgone.jpg
It seems that there is a PAD trigger there, because you don't get the camera shot of the secret door opening until you drop there and touch the floor.

Thanks again for your help. :)