PedroTheGamer - Return to the game of Senet

players help players

Moderators: mugs, Gerty

Phil
Mod
Mod

Re: PedroTheGamer - Return to the game of Senet

Post by Phil » 22 Oct 2017 12:52

Yes, it ended when I placed the crystal. But I couldn't open the door in that room without both cartouche pieces, one of which is found in an open trap door in the floor of the Senet room. To make things easier, here's my savegame right after the flyby when you enter the Senet room for the first time.
savegame.4
(15.58 KiB) Downloaded 4 times

Jorge22
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by Jorge22 » 22 Oct 2017 13:02

Thanks. But I think I must have found both cartouche pieces before entering the Senet room. Otherwise, what the hell did I do? Really, I'm going to have lunch in a few moments and, in the afternoon, if I feel like it, I'll re-play the game until I have both cartouches. Hopefully, I'll understand what happened.
"I didn't care, friend. I wasn't there, friend. If it's the price of a pint that you need ask me again."

Phil
Mod
Mod

Post by Phil » 22 Oct 2017 13:06

Jorge22 wrote:
22 Oct 2017 13:02
Otherwise, what the hell did I do?
That, my friend, is the question of the hour.

Jorge22
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by Jorge22 » 22 Oct 2017 15:54

Hi Phil. Here's how it is until getting to the Senet room (I can only assume there are two halves to be found there and still the possibility of rising the cages and crossing to the other side - the question(s) is(are): what do you win the game for if no trapdoors open in that case? Or are we all missing something else?

First room - get flares or a medipack, whatever, from the water and push the pushable (push the pushable sounds nice, doesn't it?) to the other side so as to open the door ahead. If you push it to the right side first, a door to a secret will open. Then, push it to the left and here we go.

Second room - Kill the two ninjas (I guess), leave the mummies alone and monkey swing to the next space.

Third room - Use a jump switch to open a trapdoor that will get you in a room below.

Fourth room - Kill two ninjas and each of them will leave a half cartouche behind. You can also light a torch by a fire but I didn't find any use for it, not even in the room below where we now go.

Fifth room - Same space but below (there's a ladder). Use a switch just because as I couldn't find anything that it did. Unless it's for maybe a half cartouche much later? Join the two half cartouches into one and use it by a door where you'll get an entire cartouche. You can also get a large medipack here.

Up again and enter room with two dogs. You can get a secret, to your left, if you opened the door in the previous room. Just flares, anyway. Open the door ahead (the walls are paper thin as I've hardly ever seen) and go into a hallway. Step on a ledge and you'll hear a hatch open. Immediately move ahead and you'll land in the Senet room.
And you have arrived here with a fully entire cartouche! :D

That's it. :)

Phil, I just read the essential of your walkthrough and you have actually found the cartouche. That means that you can, if you wish to, proceed to the right side of the Senet room (even before playing), use the two switches there, climb up and use the cartouche on the left side at the end of the hallway in order to enter a new room where you'll find the crystal. So, I don't understand your doubt anymore...
I haven't explored the rest enough to find two cartouche halves and, I guess, use them on the side opposite the entrance. But it seems a bit strange and I'm done.

Have you re-done the walkie while I took this second tour?
"I didn't care, friend. I wasn't there, friend. If it's the price of a pint that you need ask me again."

Phil
Mod
Mod

Post by Phil » 22 Oct 2017 17:59

Just now saw this. I'll replay and report back.

Jorge22
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by Jorge22 » 22 Oct 2017 19:32

Phil... but from what I read your walkthrough's very complete...

Phil
Mod
Mod

Post by Phil » 22 Oct 2017 23:48

Jorge22 wrote:
22 Oct 2017 15:54
Phil, I just read the essential of your walkthrough and you have actually found the cartouche. That means that you can, if you wish to, proceed to the right side of the Senet room (even before playing), use the two switches there, climb up and use the cartouche on the left side at the end of the hallway in order to enter a new room where you'll find the crystal. So, I don't understand your doubt anymore...
Ah, now I see your point. But au contraire. The cartouche I have at this point is the Eye of Horus, and the receptacle in the crystal room will not accommodate it. I already tried that. What you need is to find two pieces named "load," combine them, and now you can open the door in the crystal room. Nothing else appearing, I still say you have to open those floor trap doors (by losing the Senet game) to get one of the two necessary "load" pieces.
Last edited by Phil on 23 Oct 2017 00:04, edited 1 time in total.

Jorge22
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by Jorge22 » 22 Oct 2017 23:55

Do you mean to say the cartouche I got won't go into the receptacle? But it has!...... I think.
If it isn't so, then I still don't know what I did. But I do know I didn't find anything at the trapdoors and that I played the Senet game until I won.
This is enigmatic. Maybe I'll have to replay again. But, from your walkthrough, I got the notion you made it all the way to the end...

Phil
Mod
Mod

Post by Phil » 23 Oct 2017 00:07

Jorge22 wrote:
22 Oct 2017 23:55
Do you mean to say the cartouche I got won't go into the receptacle? But it has!...... I think.
If yours did, we're playing two different games. Try my savegame and see if you can make my cartouche fit in the receptacle.

Earlier, Marksdad opined that opening the floor trap doors is a random thing. I don't think so. I believe the trap doors open when, and only when, you lose the Senet game.

Let me propose a challenge. If you fire up this savegame and take a backflip onto the green tile, you'll win the Senet game. If anyone can complete the level, using this savegame, let me know.
Attachments
savegame.0
(15.58 KiB) Downloaded 11 times
Last edited by Phil on 23 Oct 2017 00:28, edited 1 time in total.

Jorge22
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by Jorge22 » 23 Oct 2017 00:10

I will. Tomorrow I will (it's 10 past midnight here now). :)
------------------------------
I agree. Mine only opened if I lost. It's weird in a way, I mean, such a simple game and all of this...

Jorge22
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by Jorge22 » 23 Oct 2017 10:55

Case (more or less) solved.

If you lose the game, go get the half cartouche and then cross to the other side, use the Eye of Horus, then the jump switch that should open a trapdoor by where you used the Eye of Horus and find the other half in there, you'll have a new cartouche named "load". It's there in my save.

Now... the question remains: how did I do it if I won the game and didn't get one half cartouche from a trapdoor in the main room? I have no idea. But I did. Somehow. It is a bloody mystery. Still, I'm not going to try and win the game now because Senet is a cheater. :D

Btw, I did win the game using your second save and the trapdoors didn't open (as expected). Mystery! :-o
savegame.4
(15.58 KiB) Downloaded 5 times

Jorge22
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by Jorge22 » 23 Oct 2017 11:38

You know, I tried and tried in different ways after all and it's true: the game is really badly designed and was definitely not tested.

I insist that I did it somehow even though I won the game - but I'll never be able to prove I did it and all I can say is I now remember I had the "load" cartouche when I got to the other side.

I think I should change my review as this is really, really bad. But I'll keep it as it is: no need to be mean (albeit fair).

Phil
Mod
Mod

Post by Phil » 23 Oct 2017 12:56

A simple but reasonable explanation is that the builder intended that you not be able to finish the level unless you lose the Senet game. As I recall, there's a similar situation in the commercial game (Last Revelation), where you take one path if you win and another path if you lose. The irony is that if you win, you can't get all the secrets.

Jorge22
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by Jorge22 » 23 Oct 2017 14:35

Well, you know, the games that we play have no influence on the world's destinies... But still... if he did have that intention (which I assume to be possible even if it's sort of very silly) he should have said it some time instead of running away because people found out he was 13.
But then, of course, he's 13... :roll:

Marksdad
Mod
Mod

Post by Marksdad » 23 Oct 2017 18:15

Such a long thread for so inconsequential a level. What a monster I started! :D

To be clear,my supposition that the trapdoors were incorrectly triggered was a natural conclusion under the circumstances.
The concept of being rewarded for losing and penalised for winning,is sufficiently silly for it to be taken by me to be a genuinely random error.
Nonetheless,I'm full of admiration at the dedication of the two of you.To choose to spend so much of your personal time within this level is a major sacrifice!