BtB 2014 - From Cambodia with Love

players help players

Moderators: mugs, Gerty

EssGee
Mod
Mod

Re: BtB 2014 - From Cambodia with Love

Post by EssGee » 11 Aug 2014 09:05

Have you tried windowed mode and a smaller screen resolution?
It's Tomb Raider Jim... but not as we know it. :evil:

Mytly
Keen Eye of the Week
Keen Eye of the Week

Post by Mytly » 11 Aug 2014 19:25

I just tried it. *sigh* Still doesn't work. :(

Dutchy
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by Dutchy » 11 Aug 2014 20:01

Try right click on the TR4.exe, double click "run as administrator" then open the game with "new level" and save, reload that save. If that save works, try an old save (some slots before the faulty save) and if that works go to the save you really want to load. This was the only way I could open the game again with saves from the previous day sometimes while testing

I don't say it should work for you, but it helped me a few times.
Last edited by Dutchy on 12 Aug 2014 11:41, edited 1 time in total.

zodiac_666

Post by zodiac_666 » 12 Aug 2014 08:17

In a waterfall area and shot two large bells to open two doors. I see two items by the doors on blocks tatcan be moved but how to lower the blocks they are on?

Drakan

Post by Drakan » 12 Aug 2014 11:02

There is a key on an accessible balcony with polerope

manarch2
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by manarch2 » 12 Aug 2014 12:15

Dutchy wrote:Try right click on the TR4.exe, double click "run as administrator" then open the game with "new level" and save, reload that save. If that save works, try an old save (some slots before the faulty save) and if that works go to the save you really want to load. This was the only way I could open the game again with saves from the previous day sometimes while testing

I don't say it should work for you, but it helped me a few times.
I also have those problems in several levels now, and the only thing that helped me is to play in windowed mode in 640x480 size (i.e. nearly unplayable) but only in one level, I have to replay the others. Is it possible for the builders to upload alternative tr4 files without any of those monkeys? I mean, if they are the caught culprit of those crashes, the only thing possible to avoid them is to delete the monkeys out of the maps.

TombTitan

Post by TombTitan » 12 Aug 2014 13:23

I only played a few rooms of this BtoB2014 level, but stopped last week because I don't like the jungle levels. However, I do agree with Manarch2 that the presence of monkeys/baboons are the probable catalyst of the gameplay problems for the following reasons: I played in its entirety the Quest of Gold Gold Edition by TC14 last month on WIN7. The game repeatedly crashed and savegames would not load in the two Korean levels with the peaceful baboons. It took more than a week of brute force playing to get through those 2 levels because I wanted to keep my inventory items and total secret count (which was not the same in the only available internet savegame which also crashed!!!). I was able to get through these 2 levels by disabling all background processes on the computer (e.g. viruscan, search protocols, schedulers, support programs, etc. -- I was NOT connected to the internet while playing). All of the other levels in QG Gold Edition played perfectly without problems on WIN7. I had the same crashes and savegame load problems in QGGE using WIN8.1 also. I did NOT change the screen resolution or use windowed mode to complete these 2 levels, although I did try using that approach first to no avail. The elimination of all background processes was the only thing that worked on QG Gold Edition in WIN7.

The problem is probably not the baboons per se but rather the custom building style and type of Tomb4.exe used. I had no problems with Jungle Ruins 3 in June or many other levels with baboons/monkeys while playing in WIN7 last year.

P.S. Dutchy wrote that he had these problems with this level while beta testing the game. Why was there no mention of possible crashes/savegame load problems in the bug report page for the Back to Basics 2014 levels? There should have been!!!!

Treeble
Chatterbox
Chatterbox

Post by Treeble » 12 Aug 2014 14:53

Well, it is mentioned in the notes for The Devil and Deep Dark Jungle. It mentions a workaround similar to what you've done: playing offline, killing off any programs running in the background, etc. Maybe it should be shifted to the top as a general note if it's happening to other BtB levels as well? I have played and finished the levels in order up to this one (ie 9 so far) and haven't experienced any similar issues. I have to add, however, that most of them were played in a "single sitting", ie I never quit the game before reaching the finish trigger.

Alarable

Post by Alarable » 12 Aug 2014 19:20

Add my name to the list of those having the same crash/savegame problems.
It's happening in all levels I've attempted to play. Levels 1,2,3,4,5,8.

I tried all the suggested solutions and none of them have panned out.
Alternate tr4 files would be a dream.

In the meantime I'm enjoying replaying BtB2005.

Also thinking "BtB" should be renamed "LEvolution"
because it's far from basics nowadays and showcases
the Level Editors evolution.

Everyone else enjoy the raiding, it's back to the catacombs with Lara for moi.

zodiac_666

Post by zodiac_666 » 12 Aug 2014 20:56

Drakan wrote:There is a key on an accessible balcony with polerope
Where exactly? In the big room with the two bells? I can't see a pole rope anywhere

Treeble
Chatterbox
Chatterbox

Post by Treeble » 12 Aug 2014 22:40

From the bells, jump towards the waterfall and look right. (They're swingpoles though).

zodiac_666

Post by zodiac_666 » 13 Aug 2014 08:35

I tried jumping for those but Lara won't grab them

José
Chatterbox
Chatterbox

Post by José » 13 Aug 2014 09:12

To release the horizontal swinging poles you must jump into the water at the bottom of the waterfall and pull a chain at the end of the path.

Dutchy
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by Dutchy » 13 Aug 2014 14:40

TombTitan wrote: P.S. Dutchy wrote that he had these problems with this level while beta testing the game. Why was there no mention of possible crashes/savegame load problems in the bug report page for the Back to Basics 2014 levels?
Can't recall if it was this level, but there were a few levels having this problem for me. They were well warned
Alarable wrote: Also thinking "BtB" should be renamed "LEvolution"
:lol: Level-ution

zodiac_666

Post by zodiac_666 » 14 Aug 2014 08:39

Okay I got the lion key then the jungle sword and seem to have to lower a block to push a small bell somewhere but can't see what to do. Anyone please?