Post by vimmers » 27 Jul 2009 16:06

and the crowbar i think.
important tool
but don't hang me up on that
i don't wanna read the walkie

High Priestess

Re: Trix - Time Odyssey - Dayport Sunset

Post by High Priestess » 27 Jul 2009 23:52

You're right. It's not required. I decided (reluctantly) to consult the walkthrough which I normally avoid if possible lest I read too much whilst searching for the small hint I need.

I already have the crowbar though :wink:

I did reload an earlier save and went through it all again with the oil and stuff and got aroung the museum with a few saves without alerting the guards (what are they doing, incidentally? Polishing their cufflinks?) :lol:

Now I'm on the dual ropes. I did these before but they aren't working for me tonight - I keep missing the second rope. I am rubbish at rope-swinging :cry:

rjb
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by rjb » 28 Jul 2009 00:17

When faced with 2 ropes (or occasionally more :shaking:) I save with Lara clinging to the first rope, then turn her slowly until the second rope 'disappears', as it were, behind the first. That suggests to me that Lara is (theoretically :wink:) exactly lined up for when she does a swing towards the second rope. I then save again before attempting the swing to catch the second rope. If Lara doesn't catch hold of the second rope because she passes to one side of the second rope or the other, then I'll turn Lara appropriately on the first rope and then re-save. (And so on, until Lara catches the second rope successfully.) Note that when you reload with Lara on a rope (same for a ladder) you need to remember to have 'cling' activated as you come out of the loading sequence (or Lara will drop off :D).

re this particular level, as Trix says in the readme, the idea is that this is different from all the other levels in the game, where the object is to do everything w/o alerting a single guard in the Museum. It can be done :2thumbsup: but you must have patience, of course, to try out which routes enable you to get past each guard and which don't. If you are up to the ropes, then you're quite close to reaching the 'quest item', I believe. (There's also a secret to find if you wish to do so, I think.) Once you have the 'quest item', can you then also leave the Museum still w/o alerting any guards?
Jesus says: "Come to Me, all you who are weary and heavy-laden, and I shall give you rest."[Matt 11:28]

High Priestess

Post by High Priestess » 28 Jul 2009 09:02

Hiya,

Yes, I tend to save when she's on the first rope also. Do you use the "look" button when you try to make the second rope disappear behind her line of vision? The main problem I seem to have is the trajectory once I let go of a rope per se. Some times she'll let go and fall straight downwards as opposed to flying through the air to reach the other rope or platform. I'm probably letting go of "Action" or not letting go of it.

I get incredibly tense when rope-swinging and incredibly frustrated every time I fail because if you reload when she's on a rope there can be a delay as she readjusts. In fact last night she totally froze on a rope. I let go quickly and pressed action again to unfreeze her but all to no avail and I waited ages for her to move her legs. Lucky I had saved in a slot before I jumped to the first one. I alsio hate it when I press "sprint" to late or too early and her legs dangle down, it takes ages for her to reposition.

I did it before though but only had one key in my inventory so I know what I am aiming at but as you say, will I get out without alerting the guards? I hope so after all this frustration! Thanks for the tips!

rjb
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by rjb » 28 Jul 2009 11:54

'Lo :hi: Lo!

Yes, sometimes Lara does 'freeze' on a rope - that's the one snag to saving when she's on a rope.

re 'lining up', no, I don't use 'look' (I often use 'look' in a game but not in this instance). Turning Lara round the rope, letting her 'settle', and seeing if the second rope 'disappears' behind the first 'should' :think: mean that Lara is lined up (since Lara 'naturally' looks straight ahead) with the second rope.

I also understand the 'tenseness' bit: I sometimes find myself moving in my seat, to urge Lara to "make that jump" if a jump is particularly difficult and it takes several attempts, or "trying to look round the corner" by moving sideways in my seat, forgetting (a) that this is a 2D representation, despite it seeming to be 3D and (b) that really, when all's said and done, we're playing a game with a cartoon-like character, and not trying to save the world. Helps put things in perspective! :D

(Edit: I've just realised these last 4 posts should really have been in the "Museum" thread.)
Jesus says: "Come to Me, all you who are weary and heavy-laden, and I shall give you rest."[Matt 11:28]

vimmers
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by vimmers » 28 Jul 2009 16:05

in the 1500 levels or more i only encountered that rope bug once before and that was a really old level

High Priestess

Post by High Priestess » 28 Jul 2009 16:44

rjb wrote:'Lo :hi: Lo!

Yes, sometimes Lara does 'freeze' on a rope - that's the one snag to saving when she's on a rope.

re 'lining up', no, I don't use 'look' (I often use 'look' in a game but not in this instance). Turning Lara round the rope, letting her 'settle', and seeing if the second rope 'disappears' behind the first 'should' :think: mean that Lara is lined up (since Lara 'naturally' looks straight ahead) with the second rope.

I also understand the 'tenseness' bit: I sometimes find myself moving in my seat, to urge Lara to "make that jump" if a jump is particularly difficult and it takes several attempts, or "trying to look round the corner" by moving sideways in my seat, forgetting (a) that this is a 2D representation, despite it seeming to be 3D and (b) that really, when all's said and done, we're playing a game with a cartoon-like character, and not trying to save the world. Helps put things in perspective! :D

(Edit: I've just realised these last 4 posts should really have been in the "Museum" thread.)
Ah hopefully the posts be moved for us. :blush:

LOL at moving in your seat! I do exactly that! Oh and do you ever creek your neck trying to see further up to the ceiling when pressing the "look" key? I even lean to the side to see around corners :lol:

I'm off to try again after a nice steak lunch to help focus my eye-hand-keyboard coordination :D

@ Vimmers...yes, it's been slow before on the rope after a reload but that time she totally froze. I had my finger on the CTRL key for ages whilst watching the TV nearby and when I looked back after a few minutes, she was still hanging there motionless with her legs stuck out in front of her looking like a couple of toothpicks with rigor mortis :D

Gerty
Mod
Mod

Post by Gerty » 28 Jul 2009 17:29

Please do not use this forum for chit chat....
I just hate deleting posts when they have nothing to do with being stuck but I will if you don't stop.
Oops, I did it again... Image

Anna27
Chatterbox
Chatterbox

Post by Anna27 » 30 Aug 2009 22:40

There are six playable levels altogether. Some of them are pieced together and need to be played in order. When the time machine stops the first time you have three choices: the city levels, Pompeii or Dayport. Pompeii is the only stand-alone level of the lot. If you choose to begin with Dayport you’ll have no choice but to play Dayport Sunset and Dayport Sunset- Castle in succession. If you choose to leave the time machine you’ll need to play Somewhere Sometime and Museum of Fine Arts before heading back to the time machine. No Man’s Land is a bonus level attached to Somewhere Sometime and it only becomes accessible once you find the three bonus objects that have been scattered about in the city. So for now your choices are: Somewhere Sometime/(No Man’s Land)/Museum of Fine Arts, Shadow of Vesuvius(Pompeii, A.D. 79) or Dayport Sunset/Dayport Sunset- Castle(Dayport A.D. 1381).
Is that mean, I can play with all levels, whatever I choose or not? I ask, because I'm going to play it soon.

Mytly
Keen Eye of the Week
Keen Eye of the Week

Post by Mytly » 30 Aug 2009 23:11

You can play all the levels, but you can visit the three main locations in the game (the City, Pompeii, and Dayport) in any order. There are 3 levels in the City area (1 main level and 2 bonus ones), 1 level in Pompeii, and 2 in Dayport. Whatever location you choose, you have to complete the levels there before moving on to another location. Though, of course, you don't have to play the bonus levels if you don't want to.